Kosice is located about 1000 km away from Berlin.
After passing the High Tatra Mountains, we finally arrive in Kosice at midnight after a 12 hour drive.
We meet the explorer of the mine, Vladimir Konrád, and go for another 35 km towards the Ukraine and dive the mine the following day.
- Diving in Dubnik is a challenge: The equipment needs to be transported into the mines galleries to the site - about 700 meters to walk...
We are lucky- the temperature is about 2° C.
Don't forget your head light ;-)
- Historical facts: 1597 the mining area was first mentioned in history, 1771 the 600 gram opal "Harlequin" was found, today presented in the Vienna Museum. Mine was closed in 1922.
- Since the "Dubnice Opalove" foundation took over responsibility for the mine, 120.000 € were invested to build up a museum and a nature reserve for bats.
- The cave is divable in the 3rd and 4th level, max. depth is reached in 65 meters at the 6th gallery.
- Your dive will be guided by Vlado Konrád or one of his buddies.
- Diving activities at any time in the year
- max. depth 65 meters
- technical diving spot, mixed gases available on request, contact Vlado before
- silty bottom - watch your boyancy
- water is acid, pH 2,8!!! - just bring your dry suit :-)
- water temperatur is about 2 - 4°C
- nice place for video and photo shots...
- airfills will be provided by Vlado
- Overhead environment - only for experienced Cave Divers wit dry siute!
- More than one dive per day is hard work, so we enjoyed one long dive...
- The tourist tour in the mine is very nice and interesting
- Reasonable accomodation in Kosice, Pension Krmanova, from 35€ per night, B&B
go to mine Miltitz